SDG&E Shares Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips With Customers
SDG&E offers tips that can keep you safe
San Diego, Jan. 11, 2013 – As temperatures drop, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) is reminding its customers about important safety tips to reduce the risk of CO poisoning.
Symptoms of CO poisoning can include nausea, headaches, paralysis and even death. SDG&E wants its customers to remember the following tips to help prevent CO poisoning:
- Never use a gas oven, portable barbeque or range for space heating.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur as a result of a poorly ventilated heater or CO leak from another source. Have natural gas furnaces checked at least once a year by a licensed heating contractor or SDG&E.
- Vacuum and clean regularly in and around the furnace, particularly around the burner compartment to prevent a build-up of dust and lint.
- Never store items in, on or around the appliance that can obstruct airflow.
- If you suspect that you or a loved one is suffering from CO poisoning, call 911 immediately