As a San Diego Real Estate Agent that specialized in helping clients with houses in Probate and Trusts, I frequently join many other San Diego Professionals to talk about how we can better help others.
Today our San Diego Estate Planning Group brainstormed on the Benefits for San Diego Clients Who Plan Ahead. James Geddes and his group came up with a great list to help San Diego residents achieve Peace of Mind.
Benefits for Clients Who Plan Ahead
Attending the Estate Planning Group Network breakfast this morning was enjoyable (as always).
As part of the meeting, after a delightful breakfast, we discussed a case study around each table.
The purpose of these exercises is to foster dialog and problem solving between professionals on matters that pertain to the care of the elder population. Marguerite Lorenz, CPA gave every table a few topics from which we were to write an article. Our group chose Benefits for clients who plan ahead.We jumped right in and discussed the advantages of doing estate planning early rather than later in one’s life and the pitfalls of not doing any planning at all.
Our “brainstorm” produced numerous benefits for families that don’t wait until the very end of their parent’s lives to engage in estate planning. As we sat around the table the ideas started to fly. Peace of mind was the opening comment that lead to a list of other benefits including:
- Avoiding conflicts with others.
- Reducing stress.
- Sense of accomplishment.
- Great way to explore—finding out what you really want.
- Chance to Learn something about yourself.
- Opportunity for collaboration.
- Family dynamics improved.
- Might protect your assets from huge costs.
- Provides the best chance you will outlive your money.
- Ability to deal with factors in life more effectively.
- Creating the legacy that includes envisioning beneficiaries who will benefit.
- Gives a chance to plan how to give back to society.
- Provides a chance to put long term care planning in place.
- Give a chance to find out what parents really want and how they are going to get there.
- Shifting the power…creating a healthy space for the family to heal and move forward.
- Allows families time to decide on what to do with assets which might include charities.
- Allows time to select a geriatric manager to assist the family.
It became clear to me and to the others at our table that getting an early start on estate planning gives families the best shot at happiness down the road and around the corner.
Contributing to the article were: Elizabeth Blane, CLTC, Grant W. Hamor, Attorney at Law, Daniel Wilson, Attorney at Law, Ly Nguyen Bernal, Financial Advisor, Shashin (Shawn) Vora, Financial Advisor, Michael Sclar, Senior Care Specialist, Dustin Kinney, Director.
To access The Estate Planning Group Network, go to: http://bit.ly/10uZc3T
Copyright © 2013 by James Geddes